John Simpson: Miss Content and the Joys of Small Boat Sailing

Just had an email from John Simpson in which he says:

"Regarding the talk, thought I'd do it about 'Miss Content' [his Hurley 22, in which he sailed to the Caribbean and back] and small boat voyaging generally. The general idea being that, 'it doesn't have to be a big boat to go off and do an adventurous trip' i.e. why not sail a Flying Fifteen off to St Kilda; that might be a bit of a dag! Also with the Caribbean curry theme, I can include my cruising and trading in that part of the world..."


And for those who missed it, here's his CV:

In my twenties skippering a yacht across the Indian Ocean kindled an interest in long-distance sailing. So whilst working for the army on diving craft (including helping lift the "Mary Rose," Henry VIII's flagship) I bought a Hurley 22 ("Miss Content"). Living on the boat in Southampton Water whilst preparing her for long passages. Then sailing her on a single-handed Atlantic circuit. After a refit, I sailed the boat across to the Caribbean again, delivering yachts whilst there (including the States). By this time I'd met Janet and been offered a job running a Danish yacht. So I sold "Miss C", came back, married and gained two step-children!

Growing up on the north shore of the Thames estuary in England, I learnt to sail with my father on his traditional gaff-rigged fishing smack. Racing dinghies and camping/cruising with friends exploring the East Coast rivers followed in my teenage years. I started sailing professionally now (self-employed), teaching mostly on the South Coast, this included enjoying some interesting boats like "Jolie Brise," a 1913 French Pilot cutter. Janet and I bought "Blauwe Slenk" and old wooden 26ft Dutch sloop, she became the family boat for 13 years. 

During a November Atlantic delivery on a new 40ft Gaffer from Nova Scotia, I realised I needed a change. So being offered a job as Sailing Coach for the Royal Navy of Oman was great. Sadly "Blauwe" was sold. After returning from Oman (having now acquired a Drascombe Lugger) we moved to Scotland. I'm now teaching sailing at the National Centre, Janet's running a Bed and Breakfast on the shores of Loch Fyne! We aren't completely boatless. Janet has a sailing canoe and I've just bought a wrecked International 14. The kids, now grown up are both architects, Kyra climbs and Wesley windsurfs.