Notice of AGM on 30th March and Latest Draft Committee Minutes

Members should have a quick look at the latest approved minutes of the committee meeting held on the 19th January, posted above, along with the draft minutes of the 2018 AGM.

These will be approved (or not) at the 2019 AGM on 30 March, as outlined below.


    
Draft Minutes of Committee Meeting 2nd March 2019 at 16:00 in the Clubhouse

1)      Present/Apologies

Present: Donald Buchanan (Chair & Commodore: DB), Paul Copestake (PC), David Dawson (Secretary: DD), Gilly Meighan (GM), Sandy Osborne (SO), Nat Wilson.(NW),

Apologies:, Dave Maxwell (Treasurer: DM), Adrian Morgan (Vice Commodore: AM), Anthony O’Flaherty (AO), Gill Wilson (GW).

2)      Approval of Draft Minutes of Previous Meetings

The proposal to approve the minutes of the committee meeting of 19th January 2019 was proposed (PC & DB) and duly approved.

3)      Matters Arising (not dealt with elsewhere)  None

4)      Wee Pier Update

SO reported the completion of the work on the Wee Pier, Top of the slip widened, outer edge of the dinghy park concreted and rings added, rings also added to the roadside wall, the former bund round the bottom of the slip dug out. Letter of thanks to UHT sent.

The slime on the slip to be washed every four weeks by UHT using their deck scrubber.

More rings to be added at a lower level in the roadside wall DB/DD. Broken window catch in clubhouse to be replaced. DB

5)      FF Update

Moorings: The club trot must be inspected annually with the last inspection in June 18.
SO to approach Roy with a view of moving the trot at high tide for inspection at low water. SO.

Contact UHT with a view of asking for the divers that inspect the UHT moorings to stay for some extra days to inspect others. SO.

Club Boats: It was unanimously agreed that the club purchase Mike Connor’s ff , trailer and spares for £500 DB  C/F from last meeting - It was agreed that we aim for the Club’s insurance cover three boats for the same cost, reducing the insured value of each boat so that the aggregate value is kept to the current £3k. DB

Establish the cost of RYA formal affiliation. PC

Provisional launch date 20/4 PC Tin of antifouling rot club FFs SO/DB

6)      Junior Sailing Update W/C 8th July

Possible extra instructor Jack Nutter a very experienced sailor. DM
Possible evening session with parents. AM/PC
It was agreed to buy an extra Topper rudder. AO
Club rib engine to be serviced by mobile engineer (work in progress) SO.
With UHT permission it is hoped to keep the Pioneer at the pontoon permanently SO
Club rib cover needs some attention AM
Insurance cover is limited to two sailing instructors.
Mo & John to send out note to club members to see if any have children who want to attend DB

7)      Clubhouse Update

C/F from previous meeting Plans for a new upper floor were tabled and it was agreed that PC & DB and others meet planning officer Dorothy Stott to advise planning acceptability of proposal. PC DB
Smoke alarm sorted.
The possibility of development of the club house and facilities to include other groups was discussed. No conclusion, PC proposed forming a club group to agree LBSC’s position. Membership to be consulted before any formal proposal. – Held over.
UHT sorting our the railing following the crashed stolen Audi on the clubhouse roof.
Coldwater tap to be replaced. DB


DM had previously circulated draft accounts for 2018 for use at the forthcoming AGM.
From the previous meeting: The club has around £11k ‘free’ after payment of £1.5k for insurance. In 2018 social events were financially neutral, Junior sailing small profit, Membership income £3.3k.

9)      Club Social events

AGM 30th March @ the clubhouse followed by informal social event DB. UN to publicise the AGM DD. Authority to increase subscriptions for 2020 to be sought. DD/PC

Christmas event in 2019 as 2018 with changed venue on 14/12, the Seaforth to be approached. DB/GM

Family open day on 13th July inviting Junior sailors’ friends and parents with aim to get as many boats sailing as possible, BBQ etc. ALL

Combine FF launch on 20th April with clubhouse work day, curry night. DB

10)  Cruising Update

No formal plan yet, collate Club Calendar PC.
FF events AM
PC leaving for Ullapool circumnavigation in June, SO to St Kilda in May.
Campbell Cup 17th August
Regatta 24th August
Aim for Summer Isles cruise to coincide with Tanera open day. PC
Ullapool skiff regatta in May. 

11)  AOB

Membership secretary report to be added to future agendas DD
Membership forms are available in the clubhouse
More club burgees and sweatshirts needed DB
Future Committee Dates - None Arranged DB

There being no other business, the meeting finished at 17:30



LEDs and VHF Alert

Members of the club fitting LED lights should take note of these findings.

LED lighting found to interfere with VHF-FM radio and AIS reception

The U.S. Coast Guard has sounded the alarm over the potential for light-emitting diode (LED) lighting on vessels to compromise reception on VHF frequencies used for radiotelephone, Digital Selective Calling (DSC) and Automatic Identification System (AIS).

The distance at which the LED lighting starts to have an impact and whether the issue is limited to certain makes of lighting or navigation equipment, is unknown.

The U.S. Coast Guard has asked the U.S. marine industry to provide more detail of known incidents.
Due to their energy-saving capability and longer service life, LED lights are commonly used for navigation lighting, searchlights and floodlights, as well as interior and exterior lighting— including those used for visual effect.

The U.S. Coast Guard said that in one case, radio-frequency interference caused by LED lighting created a hazard that led to a serious safety incident.

‘The maritime rescue coordination centre in a United States port was unable to contact a ship that was involved in a traffic-separation-scheme incident by VHF radio. That ship also experienced very poor AIS reception.

‘Other ships have also experienced degradation of their VHF receivers (including AIS), caused by their LED navigation lights. LED lighting installed near VHF antennas has also been found to reduce reception.’

Strong radio interference from LED sources may not be immediately apparent to marine radio users, but there is a way to test for LED interference.

How to test for LED interference;
1. Turn off your LED light
2. Tune your VHF radio to a quiet channel
3. Adjust your VHF radio’s squelch control until the radio outputs audio noise
4. Re-adjust the squelch control until the audio noise is quiet—just slightly above the noise threshold
5. Turn your LED light back on
6. If the radio starts crackling when you turn on the LED lights, it is likely that the LED lights are affecting both your on-board VHF marine radio and AIS reception.


LOCH BROOM SAILING CLUB: LOOKING AHEAD


An open letter from the Vice

The main issues confronting LBSC are common to many small clubs, from sailing to golf to gliding: an aging membership and the difficulty recruiting/enthusing new members.

Aspiring to a more youthful membership is a noble, but frustrating aim. Sailing clubs face a difficult task encouraging participation by the young, who have a myriad other diversions and distractions, as any parent will know.

And parents, many of whom are not sailors, need to find the time and enthusiasm to take their children through the early stages, wait while they drift in circles, and warm them up when they return cold and bedraggled.

Equipment costs, safety in a potentially dangerous environment,  and perceived complexity are issues in sailing. Furthermore debate rages about how best to train young sailors. Currently the emphasis is on racing, over fun, although a body of opinion suggests the latter is far more effective, at least in the early stages.

I would say that a mix of both is the answer, for most of us are competitive by nature, and there is no reason why competition cannot be fun.

The LBSC in particular faces a series of issues. We are small, our catchment is small, and our core of regular sailors is also small. Although we have 70 or so members (and dropping, see below), barely a quarter can be said to be more than occasional sailors, and yet for the time being at least, are content to pay their subs like the rest.

Membership fluctuates, but this year we have lost a number of members for various reasons. Which is understandable if it is due simply to natural wastage. If not then it could be a worrying trend.

The treasurer’s report suggests a healthy balance sheet, which hides some underlying facts. Maintenance costs were minimal, due to lack of sailing in 2018 and we were gifted £2,000 by UHT for the asphalting. The trend is downwards.

We are now a club with the best hard standing, but a sailing club cannot survive simply because it has a great boat park.

I believe, after a year when we have been obsessed by pier developments, the time has come to push for new membership, and that means trying to recruit members, both young and older, from the village and surrounds.

The success of the skiffs has shown there is an appetite for local people to get afloat, and yet very few decide to go afloat in a boat with sails.

This is understandable given the ease a skiff can be launched, and the relative lack of skill needed to pull an oar.

Any recruiting drive must be accompanied with a commitment by the more experienced members, with time to spare, on training. And that is the problem: we are all keen to promote our sport to newcomers, but less keen to give up our precious time.

If those members would be willing formally to sign up to one evening a month to take out a novice, and we advertised this in the local press, then I am confident we could attract a few more members.

This year the club will potentially have three FFs of its own, and four private boats on the water. Will we have enough people to sail them? Finding regular FF crew has been a problem in the best of times.

In short: the club needs to make a serious effort to encourage new members. Boats on the water is not enough; we need bums on boats on the water.


Committee Meeting 2nd March, 4pm: A preview...

** A committee meeting has been pencilled in for Saturday 2 March at 4pm. Agenda and draft minutes of the last meeting below.

However, for those new to the club, or new to the committee and its Byzantine workings, here by popular demand is a brief description of how the LBSC makes its decisions.

NB. Those who have been members for 30 years or more will already know the rules, which are:

1. Committee meetings are convened simply to rubber stamp decisions made prior to the meeting at The Royal Bar.

2. The Commodore invariably starts by hoping the meeting will be brief (laughter).

3. The high and low points of the past season are debated. The lows, arguably, have been lower than ever, until those who have been in the club for ever point out that compared to some of the lows in the past these lows could in fact be considered as highs (applause).

4. There will be a discussion about dinghy parking (inconclusive)

5. Actions agreed at committee meetings are invariably not actioned by the time of the next meeting.

6. The Commodore's decision is final, unless there are objections, which is often the case, in which case the Commodore's decision is not final.

NB The Secretary reserves the right to amend the minutes as, in any case, no one present will remember what's been agreed anyway.

The committee repairs to The Royal to unpick any decisions and formulate new ones.

...er, that's about it.

** Redacted  by request



      Loch Broom Sailing Club
Draft Agenda – Saturday 2nd March 2019 in the Clubhouse at 4:00pm

1)      Present/Apologies

2)      Approval of Draft Minutes of Previous Meeting

19th January 2019 (Last full committees)

3)      Matters Arising (not dealt with elsewhere) – AGM 30th Mar

4)      Wee Pier update

5)      FF's: Update

6)      Junior Sailing Update

7)      Clubhouse: Update

8)      Treasurer Update

9)      Club Social Update

10)  Cruising Update




      Loch Broom Sailing Club
Minutes of Committee Meeting 19th January 2019 at 15:30 in the Clubhouse

1)      Present/Apologies

Present: Donald Buchanan (Chair & Commodore: DB), Paul Copestake (PC), David Dawson (Secretary: DD), Dave Maxwell (Treasurer: DM), Gilly Meighan (GM). Adrian Morgan (Vice Commodore: AM), Alison Osborne (AO), Bobby Osborne (BO), Sandy Osborne (SO), Nat Wilson.(NW),

Apologies:, Rona Johnson, Gill Wilson, Morag Forrest, John Mitchell.

2)      Approval of Draft Minutes of Previous Meetings

The proposal to approve the minutes of the committee meeting of 6th October 2018 was proposed (DM & SO) and duly approved.

3)      Matters Arising (not dealt with elsewhere)  None

4)      Wee Pier Update

SO reported that the time has come for the snagging work for the wee pier development including: removing some rails at the top of the slip and increasing access to the slip, work on the bund, the burn is veering back to its original path and will need further training. SO The old pavement handrails have been removed by UHT.

The drain that crosses the dinghy park blocks easily and will need continuous clearing so it was agreed not to bolt the covers down.

SO told the meeting that UHT will not expect the £2k asphalt contribution previously agreed; LBSC requested to keep the dinghy park tidy. Thankyou letter to UHT. DB

Bolts to be added to the armour stones round the dinghy park and the wall beside the ramp to the road. All

5)      FF Update

Moorings: The club trot must be inspected annually with the last inspection in June 18 when the trot was replaced after the Pier work. SO to contact UHT with a view of asking for the divers that inspect the UHT moorings to stay for some extra days to inspect others. SO.

Club Boats: Mike Connor’s ff is likely to be for sale and could replace the weakest club ff Ffavonious. There was a discussion about acquiring Mike’s boat and it was agreed that up to £500 the club should proceed DB  It was agreed that we aim for the Club’s insurance cover three boats for the same cost, reducing the insured value of each boat so that the aggregate value is kept to the current £3k. DB

6)      Junior Sailing Update

Date agreed for the training week is 8th July.
Possible extra instructor Jack Nutter a very experienced sailor. DM
Possible evening session with parents. AM/PC
It was agreed to buy an extra Topper rudder. AO
Club rib engine to be serviced by mobile engineer SO.

With UHT permission it is hoped to keep the Pioneer at the pontoon permanently SO
Club rib cover needs some attention AM
Insurance cover is limited to two sailing instructors.

7)      Clubhouse Update

C/F from previous meeting Plans for a new upper floor were tabled and it was agreed that PC & DB and others meet planning officer Dorothy Stott to advise planning acceptability of proposal. PC DB
Smoke alarm needed DB
The possibility of development of the club house and facilities to include other groups was discussed. No conclusion, PC proposed forming a club group to agree LBSC’s position. Membership to be consulted before any formal proposal. – Held over.


The club has around £11k ‘free’ after payment of £1.3k for insurance. In 2018 social events were financially neutral, Junior sailing small profit, Membership income £3.3k.

9)      Club Social events


After discussion, the following was agreed:
AGM 30th March @ the clubhouse followed by social event DB
Christmas event in 2019 as 2018 with changed venue DB
Prizegiving event in November DB

AM congratulated DB and PC on their presentations at the Christmas bash and all agreed.

10)  Cruising Update

SO to represent the cruising
Proposed St Kilda trip at the end of May.
Ullapool rowing regatta in late may also.
PC heading north on 28th June.

11)  AOB

Membership secretary report to be added to future agendas DD
Membership forms to be available in the clubhouse AM
Murray White to bring a Bavaria 47 to Ullapool harbour for chartering.
Amateur cycle of around 30 people wanting to use the clubhouse as a pit stop around May next year. - Agreed
Diary of events needed PC?
More club burgees and sweatshirts needed DB

Dates
2nd March

There being no other business, the meeting finished at 16:55