That Cup Again




Donald had an email from a Snipe sailor who picked up on the cup we award annually (see blog post previous).

 
Dear Sir
I wonder if you could help me. I have serached the blog but haven't been succesful in finding a contact other than yours.

I read with interest the article about the Snipe Jug, from Royal Cinque P~orts Yacht Club, Dover. I am a member of the Snipe Class UK and also live in Dover. There are several of us here and we are planning to celebrate 80 years of the class being in Dover, the first fleet outside the US.

I have just been conducting some research into the history of Snipes in Dover and came across your blog.
I have various names and information and it may be that an exchange of information between your club members and the information I have obtained and people in this area know, we may between us be able to work out a possible route of the cup from Dover to Scotland.

I would be very interested to hear from anyone at the club who wishes to engage in some email correspondence to solve this really interesting mystery!

Very many thanks
Sarah Mees
Here's the email train to date.
John
You will remember the cup you awarded Rona, well Donald was contacted by a Snipe sailor in Dover with info on its origins.
How did the cup end up at LBSC? The clue may be in the cup’s original winner. Read below.
I will blog. Maybe Nabbie knows?
Adrian
From Sarah Mees
Adrian
Thank you very much for your reply. I have names from local news reports, and soon to wander down to the RCPYC and ask them if they have any other information and with a view to discussing a celebration of 80 years of Snipes
RCPYC formed the first Snipe fleet outside of the US in 1933 by having 14 or so boats built and continued racing there until the 50's. I have names of visitng Snipe sailors to the various championships that RCPYC ran.

As you say the first was in 1934, but only visitors from Eastbourne Yacht Club came due to bad weather. In 1935 same happened weather-wise and it seemed also in 1936. 1937 the Strangford Lough Sailing Club ran the championship.
RCPYC ran the championship in 1938. Visitors then were Frank V B Penman and J Penman from Solway Yacht Club. The news article says there was a special race for visitors and Frank Penman from Solway won this. There were also 2 visitors from "The North of Ireland" - R F Green and P S Bass - from Stragford Loch YC.. Mr Green and Mrs Penman gave speeches at the championship dinner.

I wonder if this is how the cup came to be in Scotland through Frank Penman, who became quite a champion in the Snipes? Perhaps these names ring some bells with some of your members, pehaps not. I'd be very grateful to hear any news or thoughts. It's very good of you to offer to loan etc., subject to discussions. I have not been to the RCPYC yet, but will just make tentative enquiries at this stage about any records they have about it if only to trace what may have happened.

Many thanks - Sarah



Sarah

Good to hear from you via Donald. Everything I know of the cup is on the
blog, details from various Google hits and RCPYC which was an early champion
of the class when it came over from America.

As to how it came to us is a mystery.

All I can add is that it is stamped Victorian Plate so, alas, no silver...!

Feel free to correspond and, I am fairly sure we could lend you the cup.
Maybe even do a fair exchange. I'd need to put it to the committee first.

Adrian
Sec LBSC

No virus found in this message.
Checked by AVG - www.avg.com
Version: 2013.0.2899 / Virus Database: 2639/6123 - Release Date: 02/22/13